Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Childhood...

Childhood....isnt it the most beautiful phase of your entire life..full of inncocence,carelessness,happiness,dreams,toys,chocklates..the list seems just endless.The other day I was paying for my fruit-plate at the office cafeteria when this tenner fell out of my wallet. As it swirled in the air a few times before it fell, it sent me hurtling 20 years back, when as 5 year old I had received my first 10 rupee note..At that moment it felt as if I were on the top of the world, as if all the world's riches were bestowed on me.It was the first time I was allowed to go and buy something on my own, though it was a mere pencil..It felt so nice..I was among the "people" who could actually buy something," I " would be paying the money , as opposed to requesting and pleading mom to buy me something( was too afraid of dad :) )It felt great to know I can purchase whatever I wanted and wished..I was literally jogging as I hurried to the stationary shop. Since the counter was a little high for me , I had to climb on a platform and " ordered " that I be given my favorite pencil. The shopkeep hesitated for a minute and then handed over the pencil. I checked it to see if it was in good shape,and having satisfied myself over its quality i dug my hands in my pocket.What !!It was'nt there, I checked the other pocket and rechecked both th epockets, but alas..it was not to be found. Suddenly, it felt as if the world had just crashed around me, I felt trapped..what would I do, what would I tell my parents ?? The first time I was given some responcibility , I had let them downThe shopkeeper probably understood the situation and told me that I can take the pencil and pay for it later in the evening.It gave some solace to me that atleast I was able to take home something..All the way back , I kept looking at the road,hoping to find my treasure, but I could not find it.On reaching home I started crying, and narrated the turn of events to mom. On hearing it , she started laughing and told me that in all the excitement, I had left the money on the dining table itself !!And it was still there, giving me a mischevious smile as if to say " gave you the slip "...
As I write this blog , words from a famous poem by Subhadra Kumari Chauhan run thru my mind..
"Bhag gaya tha mujhe chodkar,woh bachpan phir se aaya"

1 comment:

  1. Here is the original poem
    http://www.geeta-kavita.com/hindi_sahitya.asp?id=255

    ReplyDelete